Friday, April 15, 2011

"Minimal Taxonomy" photographs and paintings by Courtnye Koivisto

Courtnye Koivisto
"Minimal Taxonomy"

April 12 - May 15, 2011

Reception: April 15, 2011 6-10pm




Artist Statement:

Since I was a child, the natural world has always intrigued me, and I found that different art mediums have allowed me to explore this interest. My work mainly focuses on the subtle and uninterrupted existence of nature, both flora and fauna, and attempts to capture it without the imposition of extraneous meaning.

There are cycles of life, death, and rebirth that occur everyday, yet go unnoticed within our own isolated cycles. Each photograph is a portrayal of the modes within these cycles, thus allowing the viewer to witness a fleeting moment that would otherwise be lost. By meditating on the individual embodiments of life and death in my work, we encounter the unique forms of nature that act without our influence or interference.

While my photographs focus on the natural world as metaphor, my paintings center on birds as portrait subject in an attempt to present them as beings with which we share the world, but may not fully understand. The birds in my paintings are individuals, deserving of recognition; yet, they are representatives of their species as well, perhaps as a symbol of what we do not consciously recognize in the fellow inhabitants of our environment.

More of Courtnye's artwork can be found at: http://courtnyekoi.tumblr.com/



No comments:

Post a Comment